Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cool Milwaukee

Milwaukee is a cool city, both in terms of its weather and its vibe.

People: Milwaukeeans are so friendly and polite. “You only need to use internet for a few minutes? Well, I guess I cannot charge you for that” and "Let me help you with your bag mam, you want me to carry it up the stairs?"

Food: Milwaukee is known for beer and cheese, so I obviously ate beer and cheese soup, which was not as bad tasting as it sounds. I guess someone had the brilliant idea of combining their two favourites one day. And I also scoffed down some frozen custard, a local specialty fairly similar to ice cream.

Weather: The locals joke about Milwaukee having a ten-month winter, and it is not very far from the truth. The weather was pretty miserable while I was there – foggy, rainy and cold – but I still found the city worth a visit.

What’s there: Art, museums, theatre, music and beer. Milwaukee has several local beer breweries, and more museums and theaters than I could count. It is a great city to walk in, with manageable distances and some great buildings. I particularly enjoyed some of the suburbs, with their stunning houses from the early 1900s.

Despite the miserable weather, there were definitely promising signs of spring.

Indoor food market with all kinds of yummy stuff.

Wisconsin is the cheese state. Can you spot the greatest cheese of them all in this picture?

The people I stayed with had two beautiful cats. Unfortunately most of my photos with them are saved in the camera memory, meaning I cannot get them off till I find a USB cable that fits.

2 comments:

Vasos said...

awwww. Hegemou found some cats. sOt. The cheese photo was blurred, but can i guess brown cheese? The photo with the flowers is really nice, great mixture of colours. that camera is really good quality. keep blogging. Kyss. Det er sol i Brisbane i dag. Det er kaldt ute however.

Unknown said...

I am using the little camera u gave me, so it doesnt really work that great inside... But you're wrong. Keep guessing. And you can tell from the photo.