Thursday, March 18, 2010

Honky Tonkin' in Nashville

Nashville is the city of country music and people come from all over world to visit the city's honky tonks - bars with live music - and to soak up the history of the place. Since the 1920's anyone who is anything within the country scene is likely to have had some affiliation with Nashville, including Taylor Swift who lived here in her teens. But there is of course more to Nashville than country music. Line dancing, mechanical-bull riding and shopping for tacky cowboy souvenirs are also highly popular activities.

I spent the last weekend of my spring break in Nashville on ANSA USA's annual meeting. It was great fun meeting other Norwegians and to participate in the more political side of ANSA. I am also happy I got to visit Nashville, because the city is like no other place I have been. And that's a good thing.

I spent well over six hours at this honky tonk waiting for my bus to leave. It was not a bad place to wait, and despite being extremely tired, I did not want to leave to head back to Kentucky. The live bands that played were that good. And the only expense was a dollar or two in tips.

Riding in style: the hotel we were supposed to stay at messed up our booking, so they gave us a free limo ride instead. 

Elvis recorded a few of his songs in Nashville and the city does not seem too ashamed to be connected to the king of rock. 

4 comments:

Maria Tunsberg said...

Så mange poster som lå ute! Lenge siden eg har vært på siden din. E nok best å skrive på Facebook når du har nye innlegg. One quick question: Kor lenge blir du i USA?

Vasos said...

mmm..i'm all shook up! Jeg liker Elvis!! It seems veldig interesting this place called Nashville. I must see more photos.

Unknown said...

Eg har billett hjem i midten av juli, men kan det kan godt henna eg endre an. Har dokker bestemt bryllupsdato kanskje? Eller blir det Vegas after all?

Wibi said...

I like your shoes! ;)